Bethel E Baptist Church logo

About Us

History

Bethel E. Baptist Church in the Longstreet community of Elbert County was once known as Beaverdam Church. It was granted a separate existence by Vans Creek Baptist Church in August 1829. It was organized at a place known as Childers Meeting House near Pearl Mill. The first pastor was Rev. James Davis who served for twelve years.

Bethel has been in three locations: first, on the east side of Beaverdam Creek; later, on the west side of Beaverdam Creek; and finally, in the present location. The present sanctuary was erected in 1917-18. Members contributed the labor and lumber for the new building. The stalwart white sanctuary stood on a hill along the road most traveled from Petersburg to the very new town of Elberton. In 1948 while the beloved Rev. J.C. West was minister a much needed Sunday school annex was added with all modern facilities. In 1968 the weather-worn white plank siding was covered with brick. In 1999 a multi-purpose building (Fellowship Center) was built to accommodate the growing needs and ministry of the church.

Bethel has a rich spiritual heritage, filled with glories of yesterday, conscious of the opportunities of today and awake to a vision of an enlarged tomorrow in its service to others.

ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon